Date: 6th to 12th May, 2013
Global Road Safety Week (GRSW) is declared by the United Nations Road Safety Collaboration. Under the project ‘Safety through Spiritual Life Skills’, the Brahmakumaris will be observing the GRSW 2013 largely by the use of electronic media in addition to the on-field educational and awareness raising activities. The new initiatives include the following.
E-mailers: During GRSW, thousands of people across the globe received these emailers, specially designed in-house by the Brahma Kumaris. These brief and interesting emailers were appreciated by many readers. You may post your feedback too.
The Brahma Kumaris centre at Mauritius has undertaken special initiatives in collaboration with the national government. With a view to sensitising road users, the BKWSU has implemented the Road Safety through Self-Transformation project, thus putting the onus on knowing and understanding oneself in the exercise of accident prevention on the roads.
It started as a pilot project at the Eastern Stone Crusher at Laventure, where drivers showed a keen interest. The project was brought to the attention of the Mauritian Public at large during the UN Global Road Safety Week (6 – 12 May 2013), through awareness campaigns in different parts of the island. This was done in collaboration with the Special Road Safety Unit of the Prime Minister’s Office and other stakeholders.
- A press conference was organized in the presence of the Lord Mayor, the Prime Minister’s Adviser on Road Safety and other stakeholders, in order to share details of the project.
- A launching ceremony with the participation of eminent personalities Police Inspector Doomun from the Traffic branch of Police Force, Mr Fazil Maudarbaccus, the transport Manager of the largest bus transport companies in Mauritius, Mr Rajiv Ramlugun of Omnicane Company, Mr Shekar Dewoo, an ex-Mayor of the Town, and others
- A guided exhibition of 20 giant charts on the theme of the project
- Radio and TV programmes – A round table was organised by the Mauritius Broadcasting Corporation (MBC). Live programmes were also aired on Top Fm Radio and Cool FM radio.
- Awareness Programme was presented at the United Bus Service.
- Campaign in the village of Flacq
- Awareness programmewas presented at Rotary Club of Curepipe
- Road Safety Pledge campaign
- The Awareness programme cum Open Day/Exhibition was held in the South in collaboration with Omnicane Foundation and L’Escalier Village Council at L’Escalier Village Hall. Dr the Hon Abu Kasenally, Minister of Housing and Lands, Hon Tassarajen Pillay Chedumbrum, Minister of Information and Communication Technology, Hon M Peetumber, Deputy Speaker, National Assembly, Mr Ben Buntipilly, Special Advisor to the Prime Minister, RavinJuggernauth, Chairman Savanne District Council, Mr Jacques M d’Unienville, CEO of Omnicane Group, Mr Iswar Charitur, Senior Advisor to the Vice-Prime Minister & Minister of Finance & BK Geeta
- A talk at State Secondary School of Curepipe (Girls Dept.)
- The Ministry of Social Security, National Solidarity & Reform Institutions organised a grand programme in collaboration with Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University, Special Road Safety Unit of Prime Minister’s Office and the Municipality of Vacoas/Phoenix on ‘Road Safety Awareness Campaign for the Elderly and Exhibition on Road Safety’
Download full Report:
1. Road Safety through Self Transformation 06-12 May 2013
2. Report of programmes after Global Road Safety Week
A special public programme was organized in observance of the Global Road Safety Week at Rajnagar hall on 5th May. The theme of the programme was ‘Pedestrian Safety’.
- Dr. Maheshbhai Joshi (Chairman – Economics in Saurastra University),
- Bro. Hasubhai Dave (Vice chairman – Mahatma Gandhi charitable Trustee),
- Bro. J.V.Shah (R.T.O Inspector)
New Delhi, India
Three training programmes were organised at Drivers Training Institute of Ashok Leyland in Delhi. 115 drivers benefited from this programme.
The emailers on Road Safety were widely circulated to thousands of people. Also, the Road Safety Quiz programme was organized for the second time at Nokia, India.
Profile image campaign: This special image has been designed that can be used by web-users as their profile image on social networking sites like Facebook, Google Plus etc especially during GRSW. This profile image given can be saved and used freely as profile image. It would be wonderful if you could drop in an email to email@example.com mentioning about your participation in this special campaign.